she’s gone

. . . but she lives on in our hearts and our memories and more literally in Oscar! We can’t and won’t downplay the immeasurable loss we feel now. The dying process is difficult to watch, but we are grateful beyond all expression that we could experience it by Rachel’s side. We hope as time passes that the visuals I shared on this blog will quickly fade and be permanently replaced by the Rachel we knew and loved——vibrant, caring, outspoken, beautiful, smart, loving, welcoming, empathic, _______ add yours ________.

Here’s a place to start. The picture goes back a few years but is one of my favorites:

2004_Rachel

Thank you all for helping to carry us through these days in ways we could not have imagined. Many of you love Rachel, and we grieve your loss as well.

30 Responses to she’s gone

1. Carol Bullis says:

A beautiful person has entered heaven. I am so sorry for this great loss. May God comfort Rachel’s family and many friends, and especially John and Oscar.

2. Kathy says:

Oh, it seemed so fast. Praise God she is healed!

3. David Schick says:

Our prayers to you and the extended family.

4. Mary Schrock says:

So.much.loss! My heart aches for all of you…..can’t help but remember that you and Mauri went thru a loss of a spouse of your own…..makes it seem doubly painful….if that’s even possible. Peace.

5. Nita says:

My heart is aching for the whole family. Love to you al.

6. Nita says:

My heart is aching for the whole family. Love to you all.

7. Irene says:

Our love and payers surround you all as you walk this road of grief.

8. Shirlee Brown McArthur says:

She was a beautiful soul who has entered her heavenly home. She will live forever in the hearts of the people who met her.

9. Sharon Hodgkins says:

I am so so sorry that you had to break the news but am grateful that Rachel was able to spend these last precious days with her family and friends who gave her so much love. I have only the happiest memories of Rachel and will always keep her in my heart. She was a very special person and all her beauty of spirit will live on in Oscar. Thinking of her family and especially John and Oscar.
    Sharon Hodgkins in England

10. Ridgely says:

Free from tears and pain, rejoicing in a reunion with Margaret Rose. Our hugs, prayers and tears are for all of you.

11. Leah Douvris says:

No longer in pain, beautiful Rachel is flying high above her beautiful family watching over them with a smile on her face knowing there will be a day that they will be together again…R.I.P.

12. Joe and Myra says:

Our love and prayers go out to you. You are such a supportive family and know just when to do the right thing in spite of the pain. So glad you all were able to be together.

13. Lisa Magee says:

I always looked up to her growing up at NFC. She was so beautiful, smart, talented. I am so sad for your family. Thinking and praying for all of you.

14. Karen Schelhaas says:

We prayed during the whole trip in Juarez for Jesus to be ever-present as Rachel bravely marched to the end. We sit with all of you in this grief and hold you in our hearts in the difficult days and weeks ahead. We love your family dearly.

15. Aneta Hullinger says:

Praising God that her earthly journey is over and she is whole again in the presence of our Lord. Praying for all of you as you grieve and care for John and Oscar. Hug Mauri and let him know we are praying for all of you during this time of loss. Just so thankful that they returned home to spend time with family.

16. Heather says:

I am overwhelmed on behalf of your family. My prayers are with all of you.
    A broken heart is the burden we sometimes bare for the capacity to love; I know you all loved her deeply .

17. Christie says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, Rachel.

18. Christina Holley says:

I’m so sorry for the tremendous loss and my love and prayers go out to Oscar and all of her loved ones.

19. May she rest in peace, so painfully sorry for your loss. Rachel will remain in my heart. I know what the pain and watch looks like, but the loss I did not experience. Just know that she is at peace now.
    Ms.Peanut

20. stretch1953 says:

We are so sorry for your loss but we know she’s in the loving arms of God! Let us know if there’s anything we can do

21. Karalee Killian-Sprinkle says:

I was a childhood friend of Rachel’s until we moved to Iowa just before 6th grade. We we kept in touch thru letters and then later thru facebook. So blessed to have known her! She is finally at peace and reunited with her mom! Prayers for His comfort during this difficult time!

22. Carolyn Staples says:

Walking beside you with my prayers now and in the future as you carry an empty spot in your hearts. God’s peace and comfort now and in the days to come.

23. Debby Marinelli says:

You are all in our thoughts and prayers

24. Again we send love from our family to your family. No words satisfy. We stand in the gap with prayer for all of you. Our love to you all, Leane & Bart

25. Janelle Lambert says:

I have been thinking of your family daily and hold you in the most tender thoughts and prayers.

26. Karen McConaughey says:

So sorry for your loss. You all have had your share of sorrow. Pray that God’s Presence will be with you during this hard time. Roy and Karen

27. marciaburke says:

I was so very fortunate to have met Rachel, Oscar and John during their stay in Philly. She had such sweet spirit and left a lasting impression on me. My thoughts and prayers are with her family -especially Oscar and I hope the family finds consolation that she is finally at peace.

Marci
    Palliative Care RN
    Philly

28. Wendy Tucker Le says:

I am so so sorry for your family’s loss. Rachel was my friend when we were young and you lived in Fresno. I never forgot her and I am so happy we were able to reconnect on Facebook. She was a beautiful person inside and out and she will be missed by so many. My condolences to your entire family.

29. becky says:

It is a time like this one that words cannot express our sorrow. Praying the God of Peace comforts you and gives you moments of joy with the grief. Praying for the whole family during this time.

30. Carla says:

I knew her for a short time at Wissahickon Charter School. I can say she was a caring person, who fought a courageous battle. She will be greatly missed.