new knee

As we drove to our “Total Replacement” class at the hospital a week or so ago, Mauri said he hoped I wouldn’t take that seriously. I assured him I didn’t intend to totally replace him, just one of his knees. According to the x-ray, his right knee is worse than his left knee, though they’re both bone on bone. But since the left knee hurts the most, the left knee gets tended to first.

2012-09-10 16.57.49

There’s much to know in advance and much equipment to have ready. So we learned some stuff and got ready.

628x471

Today’s the big day! I could mess with you and try to make you believe my powers of persuasion are so strong that I convinced the docs to let me into the operating arena. But no, I’m up in his hospital suite, waiting for his arrival from the recovery room. The pic got uploaded to the Webs and downloaded into my computer and uploaded to this blog. Just consider it a visual aid.

1230552-1270114-1955

This isn’t Mauri. It belongs to some unsuspecting total-knee-replacement recipient whose x-ray somehow showed up in my computer.

The surgeon said he did great. That might have been the easy part as my brave man gradually gains use of his artificial knee through physical therapy. You might join my prayer that he gets his wish to be the “poster child of knee-replacement recovery.”

—–

I’ve seen him! He’s here in the room now and alert and talkative and content. PTL!

14 Responses to new knee

YAY!!! So glad the first part is over 🙂

2. JOHN says:

I knew someday having a dad who was part machine would be possible. Really glad everything went well. J

3. Melanie says:

Glad it went well. Success stories like this make me think I can go ahead and trash my knees, knowing they will be replaced later. I hope physical therapy will be a breeze. 🙂

4. Walt says:

Wonderful! “Poster child”… Now there’s a fun visualization 🙂

5. Howard Macy says:

Thanks for this good news! You all have been in my heart and mind all day. I’m glad Mauri has a knew knee, but a lot of the original parts have a certain irreplaceable luster, wisdom, glory. I agree with Walt that “poster child” is vivid, and I’m sure that this would be exactly what Mauri longs for, maybe even with a tour, filling arenas with admiring knee aficionados.

6. Nancy Mylander says:

Been there, done that —twice. Please tell Mauri that the very most important thing is physical therapy and the exercises. Doing it religiously will ensure he can be the “poster child.”

Glad for both of you.

8. Cindy says:

Thank-you for sharing. Will continue to keep in my prayers.

9. Rachel says:

I’ve been thinking about Pop today!! Glad to hear all went well. When can he come home? Would love to know more. Give him a huge hug and kiss from me, ok?

10. Dan says:

Thanks for the good news.

11. Lisa says:

I think ‘Wonder Boy’ would be more appropriate……

12. Hannah says:

Hope Mauri is feeling well. Tell him to follow the precautions the PT and OT tell him. 😉

Love to you both!
    Hannah

13. Leane Chaffee says:

Late to pick up on the post, but here’s hoping you are very obedient and faithful to the PT instructions. I haven’t changed knees, but have friends who have. Don’t get too rambunctious and stay off the bicycle-built-for-two for awhile. Hope your healing goes very well. Sherry, remember that at least for a little while you have the upper hand! Love to you both, Cousin Leane

14. Pingback: visitors | Mauri and Sherry