hats

We are out at the coast again for our annual pastoral team retreat. A cool element this year is for each of us ten to share some aspect of our life story. I spent my allotted 15 minutes talking about my parents. Mauri related stories of people who’ve played major roles in his life and ministry. Steve paged us through a picture book his dad made to honor his 40th birthday. We smiled with Michelle as she shared her adolescence in photos, including the trauma of braces and glasses. Jo passed pictures of herself with Hank as young marrieds. She and I are nearly the same age, so much of her childhood memories match mine. While she held up a picture in a Reminisce magazine of women shopping for hats, I already knew I’d be using my next free minutes looking on my computer for pictures of myself and people in my history who wore hats. Here, for a few laughs, are a few:

Two aunts and a grandma, each with her hat, fox fur, coat, and handbag.

Sister and mother

Me, appropriately dressed for church

Me, looking so pleased, with my mother

I actually made this hat—and the suit too, covered buttons and all!

I can’t even find the words for this hat. (Dr. Seuss comes to mind.) I didn’t make it, but I did make the suit. Jo remembered we didn’t leave for church without our high heels, gloves, and hat. Here’s proof she and I lived in the same era. Those were the days, my friend.

This entry was posted in family matters, nostalgia. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to hats

1. Jenn P. says:

I love it! Those suits are amazing, Sherry. What talent! At bell rehearsal last night we were talking about the days of having to wear gloves to be properly dressed for church. 🙂

WOW! Those clothes are AMAZING. I’m glad I live in a casual era, but I do wish we had spiffy clothes like that 🙂

3. Amy L says:

Love love love the clothes! Can I come and raid your closet? I would especially wear the outfit in the last photo. I’m being completely serious!

4. Judy says:

Ah, yes, I confess to being another of your contemporaries. I also sewed suits, often in stripes or plaids, lined, with collars and covered buttons. I remember WALKING to NFC from GFC in heels and gloves on a wet Sunday, and tripping on the curb at the corner of College and 3rd, into a muddy puddle. A friend was driving by and saw the sorry scene, and took me in her car back to the dorm to change. We were Baptists that day, heading for a different church where no one had seen my mishap.

5. Marcile says:

I can’t believe the tension we put ourselves under getting ready for church:heels, hose, hat and gloves AND 3 toddlers as well. My Grandma had a foxtail wrap too. Remember the little glass eyes?

6. hb says:

oh sherry, what a picture you are. i love hats and gloves, and secretly there is a part of me that thinks women should still wear them. but living in oregon, the other part wins more often and i am just happy if i don’t have muffin in my teeth at church.

Sadly, I have no pictures to prove it, but I had many, many suits and dresses, and the requesite hats and gloves to go with them. These last two elements were REQUIRED at the Episcopal church I grew up in!

8. Emma Richardson says:

Wow! I am instered in purching these types of hats, gloves and dresses..

Where can I find them.

Now that the was ladies should look. I love it.You all are so

beautiful. I just started buying these Item from Thrift stores in

my area. Thy seldom have only one item here and there.

Emma Richadson