rain rain go away

As lovely as e-mail and Facebook are to stay connected with our Anderson kids, there’s nothing like having them with us in person, even if for only a stretched weekend. We’d been having gorgeous sunshiny days, but weather.com predicted rain for the entire weekend, both in our valley and out at the coast. I don’t usually care about the weather, but nearly all of our plans required clear skies. I was pre-bummed. Oh, me of little faith!

We live a block from a delightful small playground; the kids had plenty of dry time there.

We planned a family photo shoot at Tilikum; it poured all the way there, then the sun came out for nearly the whole 1.5-hour session.

We drove through heavy rain three-quarters of the way to the coast; the kids spent three hours under blue skies building sand castles, wave dashing, and climbing the dunes.

Paul got a little sandy on the way down the dune.

Almost best of all, the sun came out just in time for our traditional one-block walk to church down the middle of the street. I was a happy camper.

We were happy the other grandparents and aunt/uncle could come down from Seattle to meet the newest grandkids and share in some of the fun. We all (along with the local Macy “kids”) could see how remarkably well the newest Andersons are adjusting. Addison adds new words to her vocabulary every day. With some extra attention at school, she is already learning to read.

Paul not only spells his name, he can write it.

Somehow our ordinary hanging-out  led to some teaching moments.

Paul shows Papa the book he got in Ethiopia that introduced him to his new life.

Addison and Paul even got to play handbells when we visited a rehearsal.

Yes, you no doubt noticed this post is a little lopsided, with lots of attention on the new kids. I s’pose that’s reasonable, as when a new baby joins the family. Trust me, we think all of the Anderson kiddos are remarkable, (imagine that!) but figure there’s understandable interest in how Addison and Paul are adjusting—not that the whole family isn’t adjusting! They are, and quite well.

You thought you were going to get by with only 22 pictures! I could stop, but then I have all these other pictures…

All good things must come to an end.

The white-hanky farewell. Bye, dear ones. Come again soon (please).

Note: The best three pics in this collection were taken by John Macy.

9 Responses to rain rain go away

1. Scott says:

Totally awesome, Sherry!

Ummm….how do I pick the best 3? They’re all fabulous! What fun, what grace, what faithfulness!

3. Lisa says:

Thanks for sharing all the pictures – I could look at more! You can see the joy of family on their faces. Wonderful.

4. Cindy says:

Wow! What joy. A beautiful family, and what a fun time was had by all.

Blessed you are.

5. Hope Dobias says:

Dear Sherry,
    You CRACK me up! 🙂 I just love the captions you put with everything and am so grateful for your posts (as I know Quinn is). I’m barely able to operate our digital camera — let alone have anything posted in the computer. Are your services for hire??? 🙂

I so enjoy my hours with Addison, and she was gushing with details about their time with you. We have daughters in Bailey’s class and Marissa’s class, so our family feels like we can quietly claim relation somehow. We all just marvel at the Andersons amazing journey and love each one of them!

I hope I get to meet you and “Gum” some time. Until then, consider this message as a verbal bear hug. ~ XO, Hope

6. Karen says:

These pictures made me cry in the post office, of all places. Your blogging makes me so, so happy!!! What a family God has sewn together, I’m telling you!!!! WOW!!!!!

7. Jacque says:

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe how wonderful it is to see
    these pictures. I loved everyone of them. INCREDIBLE
    FAMILY !!!!!!

8. Jo Helsabeck says:

Oh Happy Day!! I’ve been waiting for your post, and it’s wonderful! The photos capture such joy and fun in the faces of the children….and even in the adults.:-) Thanks for sharing your life (lives) with us. It’s so good to be part of the journey. So good!!

9. Randee says:

Sherry……THANK YOU!! I love sharing your blogs with family, friends and co-workers. You have captured the love we all feel for these precious children….and ALL the Andersons! Keep ’em coming!

Jeff, Cary Neil and I thank you for letting us hang out at your home and sharing the weekend. Great food, family/friends and fellowship! We loved it!

Hugs,