i’m an idiot

Every spring our ancient backyard gravenstein apple tree awakens from winter in glorious blossoms. While I always enjoy its beauty, I also begrudge the inevitible mess it will cause in a few months as it drops its ripened fruit all over the ground. I have no good reason to feel this way since I’m not the one who has to pick them up and carry them to the compost each time he wants to mow the grass. That would be Mauri (who never complains about it). We welcome anyone who wants apples to help themselves, and sometimes they do.

Several days ago Mom Edna brought us some applesauce she had made from our apples. It was so good I could almost think of it as dessert, which I resisted since I’m not eating dessert these days. So I topped it with a little cottage cheese and called it salad. Inspired, I asked Mauri to bring in a bucket of those pesky apples. He got the apple peeler/corer/slicer out of the gadget closet and we went to town on those unsightly things. I downloaded a recipe for applesauce since it’s been years since my domestic side kicked in and I didn’t want to ruin our efforts.

So I’ve proven what an idiot I’ve been all these years, wasting such a rich resource, even thinking ill of that 100+ year-old tree for fulfilling its calling. But I have repented … and turned!

This entry was posted in old friends. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to i’m an idiot

1. Jason says:

Mmmmm…there is nothing quite like homemade apple sauce. Enjoy!

2. Elise says:

Gravensteins also make the best apple butter.

Also, you can freeze the applesauce you make. We eat ours all year long.

🙂

3. kathy says:

That looks like a great tree to climb in. Brings back memories, both of picking up apples to make cider and sitting in the tree eating the ripest ones we could find. Gravensteins make great pie. You can make pie filling and freeze it too – in case you get bit by the domestic again before they’re gone. Enjoy your “salad” this winter. 🙂

4. Sherry says:

Yes, that tree has enjoyed many climbs by Macy kids over the years. In fact, when Mauri wanted to add a studio to that end of the house, Margaret-Rose gave her blessing with one stipulation: the apple tree stayed. In the picture you can see how close it came.

5. Jo says:

Sherry, I remember our children talking about the forts built in that old tree and the fun they had playing there. I also learned about making and freezing applesauce from those apples as Kenneth used to bring buckets of them when we were neighbors at 510 E Fifth. Thanks for the memories!

6. mona says:

Your father would be proud of you for not wasting those good apples.
    Happy eating!

7. Joy says:

That looks delicious!!!!

8. Denise says:

Hmmm…I’m just sitting here thinking…weren’t you telling me about a very dear friend of yours who has graciously and unselfishly been sharing her zucchini with you? Wow…maybe she loves gravenstein apples! Who woulda thought…